RTK accuracies with Here+

Hi we are looking to add a way to more accurately capture the position of the photo centres on our pixhawk based multirotor. Ideally the system would capture the position and geotag the images with the position. We have been looking at PPK and RTK solutions and have access to logged accurate base station coordinates at all our sites.

Has anyone performed any UAV photogrammetry missions with the Here + system and compared it to the same mission just using GCP’s captured with a survey grade L1/L2 RTK rover ? Being a surveyor I am a little dubious about an L1 only solution but if the proof is there then no arguments here.

Any help or advice here is appreciated.

Regards
Steve McMurray

Yes also keen to hear what others have to say based on experiences
Looking at migrating to an in house solution but would like some indication of accuracy first.

I will do some testing with an octo with RTK, Pixhawk 2 and also a quad with Pixhawk one and a traditional GPS.

Will try to see differences on the models created using Pix4d and SimActive. At this point, I do not have a RTK antenna to know the exact location of the GCPs, but I can get coordingas with a Trimble ± 1 meter GNSS Leap receiver.

Will keep you posted.

Hi @sjmcmurray,

I am also a PLS and Photogrammetrist. I have performed a lot of UAV photogrammetry missions with L1 solution only. I have compared with expensive L1/L2 survey equipment. There is no difference what-so-ever in the accuracy. So long as you understand the limits with the L1 signal compared to the L2, then you should be fine. So far I have only tested with Piksi and Reach, I don’t have a Here+ yet.

Hi cczeets… Could tell us how reach and piksy work with UAV? Do you got precision in your pictures?

Hi @Caca_Nakagi,
I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for. Both the Reach and Piksi have thorough documentation explaining how to set them up.
Yes, you can precisely geotag pictures with both.

Best,
Steve

What anntenas do you use?

1 Like