QuadPlane Conversion of Volantex Ranger EX

Hi Jacques,

Unfortunately, I have injured my back and have been on the mend for the past month. My Ranger sits here quietly waiting for more testing. I did see those threads and plan to keep my Bix3 and Ranger EX at v3.6.0 firmware for now. When Spring arrives, I can test whatever new software is available but I have good experience with v3.6.0 for now.

Cheers

1 Like

The Ranger EX can easily lift 4-5lbs so I installed a second payload mount for mapping and First Aid dropping using the NicaDrone OpenGrab EPM. Both payload mounts are identical but I can use the video cameras up front and the mapping or dropper stuff under the CG. Using APM, the images are automatically triggered on the S100 and logged. When the weather breaks, I can try my initial transition from hover to forward flight in a plowed parking lot.

Next up, I am creating an easy conversion plate for my Z1 Tiny2 to use either Tarot hooks or the mount shown. The Canon S100 camera holder and trigger are from BEV Aerobotics. The mounts are replicated from the BirdsEyeView Aerobotics DIY payload set which uses the Feiyu 3-axis Ultra footprint. Fun stuff!

I added a Z1 Tiny 2 gimbal to my list of FireFLY6 DIY payloads. By making a custom carbon top plate for the gimbal, I can now mount the Z1 Tiny on all my mapping vehicles like the Ranger EX. Note that the Z1 Tiny 2 gimbal wiring includes the video feed for downlink or FPV.

The FireFLY6 DIY payload scheme uses the Feiyu Tech G3 Ultra mount holes and the Z1 Tiny 2 gimbal uses its own scheme that is similar to the Phantom 3 but not close enough. Now I can easily swap between the stock Z1 Tiny 2 top plate that is meant for Tarot/Xaircraft mount by transferring the rubber vibration dampener tops.

1 Like

Greg. what a nice build. Is it possible to with the new version of Mission planner to have a Y6 motor setup instead of a H4?

Thanks. As far as I know, the Wiki says;

The QuadPlane code supports several frame arrangements of quadcopter, hexacopter, octacopter and octaquad multicopter frames.

I don’t see any additional frames supported in APM Plane v3.7.0.

It may be possible that the development firmware for tiltrotor supports supports the feature but it would be very experimental.

1 Like

droneright,

FYI - Tridge has added Y6 motor support for QuadPlane in the link below. I believe it has also been pushed to master now so it will be available in APM Plane v3.8.0.

[URL=“Tiltrotor support for plane”]Tiltrotor support for plane [/URL]

That is going to be fantastic :slight_smile:

HI Greg, Been reading your work while building mine. I just had my first successful hover, but the pods are way off, it’s very sluggish. can you give me some pointers? If you are any of the Facebook pixhawk ardupilot or am groups I have a video up today. Would really like to talk with you!

Hi Josh,

It’s probably just a matter of setting the PIDs for your power system. You could simply use the slider controls on the Basic Tuning Screen in Mission Planner.

I haven’t gotten back to testing my Ranger EX for transitions yet as the winter weather still lingers. On my other thread below, Rollys has had several successful transitions and flights. You could post more information on your setup here and there. For example, what is your motor Kv, prop size, and cell count. What does “the pods are way off” mean? Can you post some images?

APM: QuadPlane, Tiltrotor, and Tiltwing

sorry I meant pids. I have a Ranger Ex, octoplane. 8x 3506 650kv with 14x4.8 props. I posted a log for tridgell, but no response yet. I only had a test hover so far

Interesting, a Ranger EX Octoplane. I would love to see some photos so feel free to post them here. For an initial attempt to fix your PIDs, try adjusting the sliders in the appropriate direction of the Basic Tuning Screen. This should get you close.

Here’s a pic. I found my problem to be mag interference and since it didn’t react to yaw inputs I just assumed something else was wrong.

1 Like

Ahh, now I see how it is an octoplane, it is an X8. :slight_smile:

It looks like a good high position for your compass now.

Is that a Here+ GPS for the pixhawk 2.1? Great looking build!

Just the normal HERE GPS and 2.1, thanks

1 Like

Hi Greg,
What glue did you use for the carbon tubes to the foam wing as well as the balsa wedge? Do you recommend anything like a guerilla 2-part epoxy?

GotMyNina…How’s your progress been with the Octo QuadPlane? I’m currently in the middle of my build and curious what I should looking for.

Hi Alex,

The problem with Gorilla glue on this project is that it expands. You really want a glue that just adheres firmly.

I decided to use Foam-Tac since it also adheres nicely to carbon and balsa. For extra security, I’ve added a custom cut right-angle piece of balsa stock to counter any rotational forces. I did the gluing in two stages and weighed down the carbon tube during the drying period with a 2.5lb plate. I can hold the carbon tube and shake the wing half so it seems reasonably strong.

Today is “Ranger Day” so I finally get to test out transitions on my Ranger EX QuadPlane. I’ll post a video later this week if it is successful.

1 Like

Great tip thanks Greg! Good luck on your upcoming Ranger transition flights. Looking forward to seeing the videos.

My initial flight test of the Ranger EX QuadPlane didn’t go as well as expected but it was a good learning experience and I got lucky that the damage was minimal.

The take-off in QSTABILIZE mode was perfect into stiff winds about 15-18mph. Initially, I accidentally selected LOITER mode but got it sorted quickly to FBWA mode. It flew great into the wind but just after the turn, with the wind at its tail, the Ranger EX stalled and luckily recovered before hitting the ground.

I made a second mistake by changing to MANUAL mode (my normal bailout for APM Plane) and should have left it in FBWA. The mode change cut the quad motor assist and the Ranger landed hard (and out of sight) without much forward speed. Fortunately, the damage was limited to my front gimbal and the right wing half was broken. I was happy to see that both carbon booms handled the crash without issue.

Looking at the logs revealed the stall and an interesting issue with the Q_ASSIST_SPEED setting of 10 meters per second. When not using an air speed sensor, as in my setup, I believe that GPS speed is used. My GPS speed ranged from 9 (into the wind) to 17 with the wind. So flying into the wind, not only did I have good lift from the air flow, I have additional help from the quad rotors. Flying with the wind, even though my GPS speed was 17, the actual speed was much less and it was without help from the Q_ASSIST_SPEED setting of 10.

So I do not know the exact stall speed of the modified Ranger EX QuadPlane but I am now thinking that adding an air speed sensor will help negate the effects of the wind on the Q_ASSIST_SPEED setting. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Like