The weather was nice today so I decided to try an initial hover in my backyard. Before taking the Ranger EX outside, I calibrated the QuadPlane ESCs using the Q_ESC_CAL=1 procedure since it is easy for me to disconnect power to the ESCs...even with the wing on. The procedure worked great!
As it turned out, the default settings for Q_PIDs on Plane v3.6.0 were rather odd and did not work well on my initial hover tests. The 800mm carbon tubes wobbled up and down, front to back rather forcefully. Although the Ranger EX would not lift off under these conditions, I thoroughly tested my glue joints using Foam-Tac. I'll have to check the Q_PIDs on my Bix conversion since I didn't make any changes there.
Here were my default Q_PIDs for Roll and Pitch:
After some iterative testing using my laptop for a 900MHz telemetry link, I ended up with these Q_PIDs and the Ranger EX would hover!
I also changed my Q_M_SPIN_ARMED to 0 because I don't like the props spinning at low throttle. My Mauch Current Sensor hasn't arrived yet so I didn't measure the current draw when hovering. I made a second short hover before I finished so I could see the Throttle MID setting and it is about 740 which is what I expected. The hover test included my 3-axis Feiyu Tech Ultra gimbal and GoPro H3 camera. The Lipo packs weighed 30oz total for my 4s 8AH 25C Nano-Techs.