PMT Messages error

G’day all,

Been flying a 450 quad reasonably successfully for a few weeks when out of the blue I keep getting an error message when trying to view my logs. Error message is “Log Browse will not function correctly without FMT messages in your log.” Log bitmask is set to 141054 which should be ATTITUDE_MED, GPS, PM, CTUN, NTUN, RCIN, IMU, CURRENT, RCOUT, COMPASS and lastly MOTBATT. Have tried reading the .bin files from SD card directly from my computer rather than using Mavlink but no difference. I posted this question to the rcgroups pixhawk thread but haven’t had much response so I thought I would try here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig

The FMT messages are the start of the logs and show what data is in the logs and what they should look like. I think your logs are corrupted as these are always there. Can you post one of the bin files so we can see what the log looks like.

Mike

Sure here is two that have not worked as the .bin.log files created were 0 bytes in size.

Sorry about that last one having some trouble getting the files to upload I’ll try again.
Uploading…
Uploading…

Okay third times going to be the charm I’m sure. This is a link to the file in dropbox:

Thanks in advance,
Craig

There’s no data in those files. Just hex FF for all data. Must be a corrupted SD card.

Mike

1 Like

Okay thank you very much iseries I appreciate it. I have copied the files off the card, done a complete reformat on the card (not just a quick format) and recopied those files back onto the card. I’ll have a fly tomorrow and see if that fixed it.

Thanks again mate.
Craig

Well that was weird. Went for a fly, came home, connected up to mission planner and tried to download logs. List box was completely empty. Took sd card out put it into my computer and navigated to the logs folder. All of the .bin files had been renamed to 1.bin (this mornings flight) 2.bin 3.bin etc. So I copied 1.bin into the MP logs directory and tried to open it in MP. Same message about FMT errors. So I downloaded a binary editor and sure enough. FF FF FF… So the questions are: did I do the format correctly (I chose FAT32 as the format)? Did I miss some hidden files that need to be in root perhaps? What the hell happened with the .bin files names? Am I going nuts? Is the SD card dead and I need to replace it? Could there be a problem with the Pix itself rather than the card?

Sorry for the long post but this is driving me around the twist.
Thanks for the help,
Craig

Not to worry. It’s just an SD card that can easly be replaced. FAT32 is what is needed and you can erase everything on the card and it will rebuild it when it starts up. That would be a good test as you should see a directory structure created with an APM directory and LOGS and TERRAIN under that. LASTLOG.TXT keeps track of the last log number and is just a text file with that number in it.
Check it out and try a few things.

Mike

Well that seems to have worked mate. I reformatted, armed motors and then immediately disarmed. Looking at the card now I can see the correct directory structure and one log file(still named 1.bin btw) and opening it in MP I can now view the logs properly.

Thank you so much for your help iseries, mostly appreciated.

Craig

1 Like