Pixhawk 2.1 gyro and compass problem

I just bought a pixhawk 2.1 Sooo thankful you folks at proficnc are keeping this going. I have to admit, this conversation caught my eye today as we were trouble shooting accelerommter, compass, “bad gyro health” compass no in alignment, etc messages today. And we did have to keep turning off the 2nd and 3d compass. Our primary is the HERE+ although did not use the RTK portion yet. With all the love in the drone world and mad respect for proficnc… but are there possibly some problems with the new 2.1? Any feedback would be appreciated. I run 3 DJI s1000 airframes with Pixhawk on them and LOVE them for professional mapping. I would like to upgrade all of mine to 2.1, but a little nervous. Can anyone “calm my nerves”? :slight_smile: Thank you in advance.

@DroneDood Don’t despair. I upgraded mid year last year and went through the same issues. I was able to make it work as well by turning off compass #2 & #3. I have to say, I haven’t had any problems and have been using it for almost a year. I’m not certain what the actual fix or setting would be to make this go away other than re-calibrating accelerometer over and over again. I’ve had to issues with location precision but welcome anyone else in the community to provide some insight.

I was able to get mine to stop by just turning off compass 3
But I think I am going to end up just getting a second here and blending

@proficnc
@Alexander_Perez
don’t mean any disrespect to the PH 2.1. But the nice feature of redundancy with the compass is lost if we have to turn off second and third compass to get this to work. Has ther been any updates to a solution for this. It seems very common

David, I also have an DJI s1000 airframe. I am having a terrible time getting it tuned properly with the PH 2.1 . Do you have any tune settings you would be willing to share? I do have a big payload with a Ronin M gimbal and a sony a7r plus a few other things . So my roll is terrible and I think I have maxed out my PID settings. Do you fly a heavy payload?

Hello,

i have the same problem as you that the 3rd (external one) compass is not there at all ( it dosen’t matter if i have the extenal one pluged in or not i have still only 2 compasses)
Did you solve this problem? and how?

i am using the Pixhawk 2.1 with the Here GNSS

Kind regards
Ben

Hello,

i also have very high cpmpass offsets on compass #1 and #2

i use the Here GNSS and never get a third compass. There are only the 2 internal ones and no change if i pluged in the Here GNSS or not.
furthemore the Status LED of the GPS module are not working. Right from the first power up.
the GPS positioning itself mostly work proper. Sometimes i have the “bad GPS” warnig but usually it disapears fastly.

My main problem is that i don’t get the 3rd compass and the not working LEDs. Is it a hardwear or softwear issue?

here are a few bin_Datas and a Picture of my Setup:

Please contact your reseller

Hi,
@Ben2212, did you find a solution?
Same problem here.
Brand new PH2.1.
I have tried different FWs (rover, plane, copter -nuttx/chibi), no change. On another, older Ph2.1, Here GNSS immediately works Ok, LEDs are working… I think there is something wrong with i2c, too.

1 Like

Hello sorry for my late reply.

i send my pixhawk back to the reseller and got a new one.
They said it was a brocken connector on the GPS1 port.
But i took me several phone calls :wink:

best Ben

Hey all,
I am also having issues with my Here2 Compass on board with my 2.1 cube.
I have no problem flying, it flies fairly well. I haven’t put it thru an auto tune yet but it holds position and altitude pretty well in loiter mode…

The problem is that all of my flight logs still say that I have large variance in my compasses, I am running compass 1 as external (here2) plus compass 2 on my cube… every time I calibrate them, my compass 1 will only get to the yellow bar in Qground Control… my compass 2 maxxes out in Green every single time. I am calibrating in a dirt parking lot far away from any EMI as well

I reflashed my cube to beta APM today and re-calibrated everything

I am attaching a log if somebody wouldn’t mind taking a look, I’ve also got some other warnings i’ve never seen before.
Thanks!

Hi, I have had the same issue and have been in contact with Proficnc. Here are their replies: the Here 2’s compass, it is working properly on the newest APM firmware. However, the external compass can not work on the PX4 firmware at this moment. The here 2 can not work on QGC properly for calibration, and needs to be setup and calibrated through mission planner.

Cheers, Charlie

Still looking for some answers to this if possible, Charlie gave me a good clue here but still no cigar.

I recalibrated my Here2 compass with Mission Planner yesterday, and also deactivated my internal compasses on the cube, and my quad flew horribly… it wasn’t holding position well in loiter mode, and it seemed “twitchy” in general… So I recalibrated with MP again and this time reactivated internal compass 1, and it flies much better now… not sure if it’s flying as good as it could, but it’s much better.

Is there any solution to this Here2 GPS issue?

Not sure if it helps but it appears that the here2 is prone to more interference than the original here GPS. I still had trouble with the quad twitching, it was exactly the same design and setup as the quads I had built with the original here GPS that flew mint. After sending logs from both quads to proficnc it appears that the here2 is having trouble with interference from the RFD900X, where the original here gps was fine. After raising the here2 unit up 100mm compared to where it was I havent had any trouble since.

1 Like

Thanks for that info, I have my here2 GPS up on a regular hobby store GPS Mast, yesterday I updated to APM 3.6 and recalibrated my compass while also turning off my internal compasses, and it seems to have worked pretty well… copter holds position fairly well and no more MAG variance error between the two compasses. So we’re heading in the right direction.

1 Like

Hey Guys unsure if this is still active but I’m trying to calibrate my compass here2 pixhawk 2.1 on traditional helicopter. It’s a 550 class and I’m really afraid to fly in loiter mode if all the sensors aren’t properly calibrated. For some reason every time I try to calirbate this compass it fails and tells me some ridiculously high offset value - im calibrating in the middle of a field im really not sure what’s going on? did we get a fix to this is this a me issue or a compass issue?

~Aditya