Lights, joystick mapping

Hi everyone,
I am trying to use the buttons on my joystick to operate Lights and smoke on my rover/boat. I can use the extra channels to operate the lights etc via the X & Y axis on the Joystick but that leaves me on channel short. I have 7 extra buttons on my joystick so I was hoping to map the channels to the buttons but can figure out how to do it.
I’m using APM 2.6, MP, Turnigy receiver servo switches, 3DR radio, Thrustmaster T-Flight joystick.
I will also post this on the new site.
Thanks in advance
RS

You are on the new site :wink:

Hey Gary, Thanks, seems pretty slick. :grinning :slight_smile:

@ Gary,
RS = Richard Sterling who is a member of the ArduBoat User Group.:slight_smile:
Welcome aboard Richard.
Regards,
Tom C AVD

Cheers TCIII, good to be here.
Regards,
Richard Sterling or RS most of the time :wink:

@Richard,

I assume that you have looked at the Wiki Joystick/Gamepad instructions for using the buttons on your joystick?
It looks like that there are not any control options for the buttons that will meet your requirements?
Regards,
Tom C AVD

@TCIII, I did start there and I have it functioning well in all aspect apart from mapping the buttons. I have buttons for the modes set nicely but now I am trying to setup servo switches. It works for copter but I can seem to get it to work.
You may very well be right. At the moment I am playing with the DO_SET_SERVO settings.
I’ll keep you posted.
Regards,
RS

Ok,
I received advice to set the buttons to DO_SET_SERVO so I have done that.I have followed the given instructions and set up the DO_SET_SERVO on two channels one with a low PWM 1000 I think and the other high 1900PWM.
But where I am stuck now is the DO_NOT_SET settings options asks me for the “Servo #” as I have the switch plugged into ch6 I assumed that that would be the servo number but no, I have also tried “A6” neither work.

with more reading I see that the Servo# correlates to the servo output pins. So I think I have it set correctly, which leaves me even more puzzled why it is not working.
Can anyone tell me what I might have missed? Do I have to change any other settings? Because I am only making these adjustments in the Joystick configuration panel.
Thanks in advance,
RS

Richard,

Is your RC6_FUNCTION set to 1. I have never tried what you are doing but just a thought.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Hey David,

Good to see you here.

Thanks for the thought and yes I have all channels set as pass through.

I was lucking enough to get advice from Michael Oborne:

“MP does offer the options to use a hat switch as an axis, and also buttons as an incremental axis. You would select Hatud1, or Hatlr1. This creates 2 new axis, and you will need to hold and release the hat switch to control it. Along the same lines Custom1 and Custom2, set the axis to either of these, then the buttons to button axis, when pressed it goes to one extreme, and the when released it goes back to the other extent.”

I got the “Hatud1” and “Hatlr1” working perfectly but I am yet to figure out the “Custom1” and “Custom2” so I am very happy to know that it is possible just need to figure out the second half.

A big thanks to Michael.

I hope to get time to start using my RFD modems this weekend all going well, I’m sure I’ll be asking you some questions.

I’ve been using my 3DR modules as I’m bench testing and me and my laptop are in close proximity to the boat so the low power output is better suited I feel.

Regards,
RS

Richard, I use the Hatlr for my camera turret. Every time I click it the turret turns a bit. If you bench test with the RFD modems set the power low. Mine are set high and bench testing needs a big separation or walls involved.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger