LIDAR on Quadplane

Hi there,

Is it possible to use LIDAR during VTOL_LAND? If yes, does it also work when Q_RTL_MODE parameter is set to 1?

Finally, is there a SITL Octo-quad model available?

Detleff.

Isn’t there anybody who knows the answers??? Or am I in the wrong forum??

Yes, CanberraUAV’s X8 QuadPlanes hvae LIDARs on them, and they are used during VTOL landing.

There is no model for a SITL Octo-QuadPlane; we made to with 5 motors on the sim :slight_smile:

Great, thanks for the reply. I was already wondering how they handled the possible altitude differences in take off and landing area.

I couldn’t find any special setting for activating the Lidar (rangefinder) for quadplane operation. Are the standard parameters enough to make it work?

We also surveyed the areas around Dalby by driving around and checking what the altitude differences were like. And the 3G reception while we were at it.

https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/blob/master/ArduPlane/quadplane.cpp#L757 is where you can see the relevant code, including use of the RNGFND_LANDING parameter.

1 Like

I have tried to install the Lidar, but it wasn’t really working. Also, they are quite big and heavy, and expensive. Around 200 USD is quite a lot.

My problem is this:

During long flights (mapping flights for example) with my quadplane, I noticed quite some barometer drift. Sometimes nothing, sometimes a lot. On my last flight it was actually 7 meters in the wrong direction. That means, the Pixhawk thought he was still 7 meters up in the air, but already on the ground.

That means, there was never a flare to slow down the descent rate which is set at 5 meters.

Fortunately I set the descent rate not too high, so the landing was still ok, a bit fast, but no damage done.

So my thinking is like this:

If I could use a simple, cheap ultrasonic device to initiate the final landing stage, it should already be ok. Most of them work in the range of 3 to 4 meters, which should be ok for starting the final, slow landing descent and also solve the problem of landing detection.

Do you have any idea if this is possible?