Guided Mode broke in current 3.4 dev (74121..)

Using Tower App and taking off in Guided mode works just fine. Then picking a spot on the map to fly to here causes copter to fly to ground level and sit.

Mike

Yes, I think there is likely a problem with Guided mode and Tower’s follow-me. I’m not sure which is to blame but it may be caused by us adding support for various altitude types. Maybe it’s just a bug in ArduPilot (that would be easy to fix) or maybe it’s a problem with how Tower is specifying the altitudes. I’ll have a look to see if I can recreate it.

Someone reported that they think it’s flying to absolute altitude instead of relative.

Mike

Fly to here does not work with or without Terrain On and Terrain Following On. In the logs I can see the Guided command and it is specifing the height above home position. Terrain data was loaded to SD card.

Mike

I did a test flight today using Mission Planner and found that Guided mode worked just fine. So I think Tower must be sending absolute altitude instead of relative.

I can see in the logs where it specifies the Guided waypoint with the altitude but it doesn’t indicate if it’s relative or absolute.

Mike

Yes, I’ve confirmed it’s a tower issue and I’ve raised an issue here: https://github.com/DroidPlanner/Tower/issues/1761

@rmackay9,

Well that’s not all true. I checked the code in Mission Planner and he is using mavlink_msg_mission_item and in Tower they are using mavlink_msg_set_position_target_global_int.

In both cases relative altitude is being used and I wrote some sample code and both methods worked just fine. So I guess its an issue with Tower. It could be that the Mavlink just needs to be updated as the Tower code looks correct.

I was not able to see the raw Mavlink data being sent in Tower to see the actual parameters being sent and the GUID log message only show the correct altitude and not if it was absolute or relative.

Mike

Also the code is not in Tower but in DroneKit.

Mike

In case anyone else is trying to fly guided mode with 3.4 the beta version of Tower has the fix for this in it already.

Yes, I have tested this on Beta 3 and it is now working again without Drone-Kit.

Mike