Dual-motor tailsitters

Hi, Tridge… gray is sitting here with no controller ,is it easy,or possible to get pixhawk working with tailsitter tilt vector s/w I can’t get it to conn. after it loads, that would allow me to work/tune with hover and fbwa

@lorbass Still learning the log analysis tools for ArduPilot. Here’s a plot of my last tailsitter takeoff in qstabilize mode (red is throttle, green upward accel, blue rel alt):

yes, the tilt vector support is in master now, so just load the “latest” firmware. Use control-Q in mission planner firmware load screen.

There could be several reasons for that. What is the main LED doing after you load the firmware? Do you have a buzzer attached? If so, what sounds does it make?
If you are connecting on USB it could be as simple as a failed microSD card.
Cheers, Tridge

off,[quote=“tridge, post:229, topic:15302”]
have a buzzer attached? If so, what sounds does it make?
[/quote]

no last 2 low tones just high beep beep after multi 3 tone

swaped sd card did not help

it’s fine if is not easy. I can do other stuff, the regular s/w loads and works

@tridge Next tuning iteration on pitch with the new motors and CG increased P, decreased FF and added some I and D back in. Felt like pitch control was improved, and yaw control seemed good enough.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw3digSMQXDuaHRHVmZqTDdMT0U

it should be easy. If you have skype of G+ hangouts I think we can sort it quickly with a shared screen if you want to try that. Ping me on skype as AndrewTridgell

Hi, my wife,( she who must be obeyed) says she will help with the skype, but is retired for the evening, we will try tomorrow?, thanks, looking foward to chatting

yep, sounds good, chat to you then!

@kd0aij
Thanks for the help.
How did you set the Param Q_M_THST_HOVER. (default 0.35)
My Throttle Stick is centered with the spring.
My copters nearly hover in center when tuned correct.
The value of 0.5 is for my Caipirinha not enoughe, next trial with 0.6.
Helps to avoid up and down as your blue curve in the log.

Why not start in Hover Mode, ist this not recommended?

My “landing gear” was intended for the first starts or better landings, only.

@tridge,
What is a “vectored Tailsitter” ?
Otto

1 Like

A “vectored” tailsitter is one with vectored thrust (motors that tilt) like the one in this post above: Dual-motor tailsitters

1 Like

And what is the advantage to load extra weight for one or two servos if it starts or lands on its tail?

A_M_THST_HOVER appears to be used only by the copter firmware. I’ll check to see whether there’s a similar parameter for quadplane.

The advantage of vectored thrust for a tailsitter is a large increase in body-frame roll and pitch authority. Also, if 90 degrees of motor tilt is available, you can take off and land with the wing horizontal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koOqenMpvck&feature=youtu.be
and it should also be easy to deal with any amount of wind while in “hover” modes.

1 Like

Hi, otto
It can hold any pitch angle without much airflow /forward flight, solves most tailsitter issues .see my other videos on youtube
( research air) https://youtu.be/koOqenMpvck

@tridge @lorbass Regarding the hover thrust parameter; in PX4 I implemented a similar parameter for multicopters as defining the value of the throttle curve at center stick. This means that the throttle stick is near center when hovering so that when you switch to an auto mode which controls altitude, the z velocity (commanded by the throttle stick) is near zero. It doesn’t look like quadplane has that concept at present.

@lorbass Regarding takeoff in QHOVER mode, I don’t think it would be possible to do the “jump” takeoff necessary to avoid a tip-over in that mode.

@kd0aij

What about the Param Q_M_THST_HOVER as I asked some posts bevor?

Didn’t know about that one; but it doesn’t seem to be used in quadplane.cpp or in AP_MotorsTailsitter
If I’m right, then changing it won’t make any difference… I’ll do some more code inspection.

It looks like that parameter hasn’t yet been implemented in quadplane, and I’d need some advice from Tridge on how to do that, since it should probably apply to all hover-capable types of plane.