Diagnosing Motor Problem - hardware or software?

Hello,

All of my motors arm, but after a few seconds of operation one of them stops.

I have tried plugging swapping the output wires from the APM 2.6 to the ESCs and it is still that motor that stops.

The amount of time before the motor stops seems to vary, it typically starts up again after a power cycle, or after waiting for awhile. If i run it a few times in a row the time to stop seems to decrease. Sometimes it will give a little twitch after stopping.

Troubleshooting advice appreciated software vs esc vs motor i think are the options for failure. ! I have read that just swapping parts around to troubleshoot could damage other equipment so I hesitate to do that. I do have a clamp multimeter that I will try to measure the four motors with.

here is a short video of the motor stopping:

thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

You can swap parts around for diagnostic purposes w/o any risk of damage. The only thing you need to avoid damages is to perform any (dis)connections while the battery is disconnected from your copter completely. The same for USB connection, it needs to be disconnected.

regards,
Dmitry

Ok thanks Dmitry, I read somewhere that if the motor is the problem, it may have hurt the ESC, and if i move it to another ESC it might hurt that one. Any other diagnostic advice?

You can disconnect disconnect suspected motor completely and connect another motor to suspected ESC. This way you will see if problem is in the motor vs ESC.

With a clamp multimeter you can measure current value between ESC and battery, but I unsure it will tell you something useful. Even in case you’ll discover huge current consumption for some exact ESC it will not explain you a cause. It could be bad ESC as well as a bad motor.

IMHO

Awesome thanks so much. The problem is an ESC, it seems totally random how long it takes to cut out and i dont particularly feel any heat buildup, but i hoked a different motor to it and that one stopped.

I have ordered a new esc and banana connectors, looks like this project will involve soldering after all - thanks!