Custom Imagery in Mission Planner

the flight controller has its own format, putting it there will not do anything.

delete make sure mp loads the geotiff fine. then remove everthing from the terrain directory on the flight controller.

then connect MP. and it should load the geotiff to the flight controller.

But the flight controller is using SRTM data instead of the GEOTIFF. I deleted all of the SRTM data but it loaded it again.

the flight controller only has one storage place for terrain data. either it be srtm or geotiff. as the flight controller doesn’t care where the data came from, only that I has it.

Ok, so how do I inhibit it from loading SRTM data? In mission planner, I load the GEOTIFF, create the waypoint plan, select terrain and then write. When I do this it automatically pulls in SRTM data?

currently there is no method to prevent srtm data being pulled and used.
MP will always use the geotiff data first however over srtm.

based on your comment here
http://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/using-our-own-vertical-data-for-mission-planning/12546/17

you don’t understand how the system works.

ter_? is the terrain system. it could be srtm or it could be geotiff. it is the same thing. this is just indicating to say if it has terrain data or not. it doesn’t care where the data is from. when you set the spacing to 1, it pulls from the geotiff, if available and uploads that at 1m resolution

Well its not working that way or it is parsing the GEOTIFF into SRTM folders. When I set resolution 1, I get an SRTM folder with 627 indicated on the Ter_Load field. And when I check the SD card there is nothing but a STRM folder. So is mission planner converting the GEOTIFF to SRTM data?

MP uploads what the autopilot requests using the best available data it has. in your case this will be the geotiff.

the name of the folder was simply because that’s what already existed. it does not mean anything.

the terrain system was designed around the srtm system. if the folder on the sd card is called this, it agains doesn’t mean anything, as the data it contains will be the data MP uploaded, which could be from the geotiff.

id be pretty confident that you already have your geotiff data on your pixhawk. its just the folder naming was designed and based around srtm. not geotiff.

Ok, that information is very helpful.

Thank you for your time and patience as I learn more about one of the many awesome features of Mission Planner. I am amazed by its breadth and depth. Thanks for a great product and for being extremely responsive.

Dave

1 Like

Weird, two Bolands on the same thread!

Alex you can do it with tiles or GEOTIFF both from global mapper. With GEOIFF you must select custom imagery under source in the upper right corner drop down. Then hit CNTL F to get the menu to upload your custom imagery.

I don’t have mission planner in front of me and can’t remember the name of each tile. I can provide more specify assurance when I get to mission planner, which may not be for another 24 hrs.

Once you get it working, it’s awesome.

Dave

Alex,

I doubt it’s related to resolution. I had great results with 2.5cm/pix. File coordinates are crucial.

Dave

Good to hear. I assume you referred to the YouTube video for the original setup? I might need to update it to reflect the moved folder.

Aloha!

I am attempting to load in custom elevation data into Mission Planner so that I can have a better precision than the 100m google earth data. I loaded a 10 m DEM into Global Mapper, following your video tutorial and placing the derived GeoTIFF into the SRTM folder (and removing the other files). When I do this the upper right corner in mission planner says ‘invalid’ and all elevation data is 0. I made sure the DEM was wgs84 beforehand as well. Any ideas on what went wrong?

check missionplanner.log in c:\programdata\mission planner

this should list details about the attempt to load the file

Hey,

I’m trying to make a terrain following flight with my DTM custom map.
I have followed all the stages that you wrote here.

1. made geotiff 32bit floating dtm from pix4d to MP thru Global Mapper
  2. insert it into the SRTM folder at program data - I saw geotiff elevation data on mission planner right after.
  3. clean the terrain data folder from the pixhawk’s SD.
  4. then write the mission to the pixhawk from the mission planner with the geotiff

And it still doesn’t fly 40 meters above the terrain data from the geotiff,
The weird thing is that it doesn’t fly 40 meters above the SRTM data either.
it flies something between with no constancy.

When I flew there with the SRTM data (before inserting the Geotiff), it flew successfully 40 meters above SRTM terrain data.

If someone knows how to help me it will be great. I’m pretty stuck with the subject.

Thanks

Hi Michael,

Does this internal limit still exist with current versions of mission planner?

I was able to import custom imagery into mission planner my export settings are as follows;

• Zoom level - 23
  • Number of Zoom levels - 18

This was done using global mapper. If you could please recommend a software that could provide a higher number of zoom levels.

Thanks

The internal zoom limit would be 21 or 22. Anything above this will not be used

Thank you, Michael.

You have a great day ahead.

Hey Michael,

While I have your attention, is it possible to insert more than one custom map in mission planner? I wish to have max 3 atleast 2 custom maps in mission planner that show the following;

1 - google map tiles custom map.
2 - a DEM in a google map tiles format.

Thanks.

do you know if your DEM format is supported by gdal?

MP handles imagery and DEM seperately.

Normal the DEM would be in GeoTiff format, and only requires copying the source image into the correct folder to work.