Copter-3.5.4 has been released!

Yes, the Teensy solution is a good one, I’m using it on one craft. But the DIY adapter with a FUL-1 and a diode woks OK. It just doesn’t get as much data.

How do you display the telemetry using the diy adapter? Are there lua scripts like in the MavLink_FrSkySPort project?

I just use the telemetry functions built in to OpenTx. No fancy graphics just text but it get’s the job done. Set the serial port protocol to “4” Discover Sensors and then setup your screen in Companion or on the Tx. Here is another option I haven’t tried but people that have report liking it.
https://ilihack.github.io/LuaPilot_Taranis_Telemetry/

As per the link you can use one of these cheap TTL>RS232 converters and a diode and you have a <$1 solution.

Having telemetry and an easy to read telemetry screen is super important when you’re flying - I don’t fly anything these days without. Forgot about that ilihack screen must give that a go - not sure why he’s thanked me in readme, I had nothing to do with it!
It would be great to have an opensource version of the craft and theory screens using the passthrough, if that’s the best way of doing it these days. At least the wiki pages should reference the opensource options, they’ve been pretty much completely removed.
The teensy option is still by far the best/richest (opensource) option - it has a lot of features and logic built into it, and a teensy LC only costs $11. There’s also the mavsky option but it’s not maintained any longer.
Telemetry is super important for safe flying.

1 Like

@rmackay9, is there somewhere to find the copter 3.5.4 version still? I upgraded to 3.5.5 and have had some strange things happening in my quad. I’d like to go back to 3.5.4 as I chase the gremlins to reduce variables. Not sure if it is 3.5.5 issues or not, but still would like to go back while I troubleshoot. I can’t seem to find a compiled version of 3.5.4 firmware to flash onto my Pixhawk 2.1 quad.

Thanks

Glenn,

Sure, on the MP’s Install Firmware screen, on bottom right, click “Pick previous firmware” and it seems the top item, “AP 3.8.4 AR 3.2.0” causes Copter-3.5.4 to be available. You should see “APM:Copter V3.5.4” appear under the icons.

I don’t no see that option. AS 3.5 is my top option and AP 3.7.1 AT 1.0 is the most recent AP load.

I’m working with MP build 1.3.50.0. Does that make a difference to the firmware available?

Thanks for the help,
Glenn

Nevermind. had to update MP to 1.3.55 in order to see that selection. Thanks for the help!

Hi @mlebret, I didnt find the fw that i downloaded from the repository http://firmware.ardupilot.org/Copter/stable/navio2/arducopter when i was in the trial to upgrade the firmware of the Navio2 using Mission Planner, can you help me please, and Mission planner does not recognize Navio as the board.

Hello,

You cannot use Mission Planner to update navio2 arducopter software. You have to wait a new Emlid Navio2 image (complete firmware) or do a delicate procedure when connected to Raspberry via terminal ssh.

There is an old procedure in the Navio2 wiki, and another one (my how to) in one post of the Emlid Navio2 forum.

Your link to firmware is correct but, for the moment, it seems very busy and slow to respond.

I’m doing the procedure on my setup and will post it soon.

#####HowToUpgrade arducopter on Navio2#####
I assume you have a working Emlid Navio2 (latest Strecht image with arducopter 352)

After connection via terminal ssh you are there:

SSH is enabled and the default password for the ‘pi’ user has not been changed.
This is a security risk - please login as the ‘pi’ user and type ‘passwd’ to set a new password.

pi@navio:~ $

All commands are in bold
  • is a comment
  • Go to the arducopter place:

pi@navio:~ $ cd /opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter-3.5/bin

• Look what is inside: arducopter and heli version

pi@navio:/opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter-3.5/bin $ ls -l
total 3632
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1249616 Nov 23 03:51 arducopter
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 1214604 Sep 14 2017 arducopter-heli

• Before downloading new arducopter we need to rename the old file,

pi@navio:/opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter-3.5/bin $ sudo mv arducopter oldcopter

• download the latest arducopter

pi@navio:/opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter-3.5/bin $ sudo wget http://firmware.ardupilot.org/Copter/stable/navio2/arducopter
–2018-04-30 12:43:51-- http://firmware.ardupilot.org/Copter/stable/navio2/arducopter
Resolving firmware.ardupilot.org (firmware.ardupilot.org)… 208.68.38.241
Connecting to firmware.ardupilot.org (firmware.ardupilot.org)|208.68.38.241|:80… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 1262128 (1.2M)
Saving to: ‘arducopter’

arducopter 100%[==================================================================================>] 1.20M 664KB/s in 1.9s

2018-04-30 12:43:58 (664 KB/s) - ‘arducopter’ saved [1262128/1262128]

• arducopter is downloaded, we have to tell linux it is an executable file

pi@navio:/opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter-3.5/bin $ sudo chmod +x arducopter

• check the result

pi@navio:/opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter-3.5/bin $ ls -l
total 4868
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1262128 Jan 31 02:54 arducopter
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 1214604 Sep 14 2017 arducopter-heli
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1249616 Nov 23 03:51 oldcopter

• then reboot, after connecting with mission planner the version should be 3.5.5

pi@navio:/opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter-3.5/bin $ sudo reboot

Marc

@mlebret thanks for your instruction, it works fine in my FCB (Navio2) though you call this approach as an old one, But why you call it delicate, does it have side effects that needs me to wait for new release of emlid image with updated FW?

Hello,

I was referring to the Emlid doc:
https://docs.emlid.com/navio2/common/ardupilot/installation-and-running/#launching-a-custom-ardupilot-binary

I prefer to do it “my way”, as there are no modifications to the running process:

Conflicts=arduplane.service arducopter.service ardurover.service

Delicate refer to the need to shut down normal arducopter service and run ardupilot service…

Emlid staff have a lot of work with new products and promotion, so there is a lag in official software release. Being able to update the arducopter software on the Navio is a good workaround.

Marc

Hi can I program a serial port 5 to use as a telemetry port?

Some information there: https://docs.emlid.com/navio2/common/ardupilot/installation-and-running/#specifying-launching-options

TELEM line could be like “-F /dev/ttyUSBx” with USB to serial converter. If there is only one USB used x=0, if there are more, it could be 1 or 2 or 3…

I found this on the web:

If you’ve only got one device attached, it’ll most likely always get /dev/ttyUSB0. Things get more complex when you have multiple adapters, and then the /dev/serial/by-id/* aliases become more useful. On my machine, they look like:
• /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_A10175UI-if00-port0 → …/…/ttyUSB0
• /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_USB__-__Serial-if00-port0 → …/…/ttyUSB1
The first one is a real FTDI adapter (it has a serial number, A10175UI), the second a cheap clone of an FTDI (no serial number). If you access the port by its by-id location, it’ll pick up the same physical adapter every time.