Copter-3.4.3-rc1 ready for beta testing

2016-12-05 16-38-30.zip (2.9 MB)

Hi @rmackay9@tridge

Just use my nano 450mm wheelbase OCTOROTOR brush into the corresponding 3.4.3rc1 firmware to test the Guided Mode, and Heli FW, the use of the boot mode to land the problem, I upload log, please Randy to see if the firmware problem

Using:

• Untested Pixhawk (true blue not a clone)
  • Hyper tested: very small 550 mm quad / motors / M8N external Compass / 5 volts clean power to Pixhawk and GPS/compass / rfdesign telemetry.
  • Loading rc1 without problem on Pixhawk
  • Calibrating and compass “rock and roll”

17 sats hdop 0.55 on the laptop prior starting… Aircraft has been on the field for more than 10 minutes to get everything at the same temperature. 31 degrees Celsius (87.8 Fahrenheit)

• trying stabilize for a while: Looks and feels ok.

• trying Altitude hold: Seems a bit twitchy but ok…

• Switch to loiter … “Bad move!”

• Then everything became completely out of control.

• Switch back to ALT hold… seems turning out of control…

• Switch back to Stabilize but seems to have a mind of its own.

• Compass seems to have lost its marble.

• Hit land to try saving the aircraft. Lost altitude slowly while circling until crashing.

Looking at log: No vibration. but EKF_CHECK-2 red error…
replay TLog: Compass completely confused. BUT same compass worked without glitch for many many flights.

Need to fix the aircraft prior further testing :frowning:

Reply to myself…
After disabling the internal Pixhawk compass through mission planner, had a good flight this morning with the same aircraft and same configuration.
Back to base I tried the following:

• Disabling the external compass and enabling only the internal Pixhawk compass to verify what is happening.

Gee!! looking at the mission planner “hud”, while aircraft is on the ground (not flying) the hud is moving like a watch handle, gently from north to south without stopping anywhere! So it really shows that this “real” Pixhawk has a serious problem.

Henri

The problem has been solved!

Thk @gblanco !

http://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/ac3-4-2-heli-fw-guided-mode-automatically-decrease-the-height-without-giving-the-change-height-command/13232

Lance,
Thanks for testing and reporting back. I had a look at your log and the leddar one data still looks quite bad. We see jumps of about 10m quite often. I’m unsure if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. I have asked the developer of the driver, Matsuura-san to have another look. I think maybe the only way to get to the bottom of this is for me to get a LeddarOne range finder myself to test it fully. Sorry for the troubles… I hate to say this but I think maybe you should get another range finder or turn it off until I can confirm the leddarone driver is ok.

Hi henrik04,
Thanks for the report, it’s very hard to look into the issue with log files I’m afraid.

That’s fine. Like I said…I’ve had this a year hoping I might be able to get it to work. After my failure trying to integrate it I just set it aside.

Work and weather have kept me from messing with it…but I’m going to try changing some of the hardware settings to see if anything stabilizes. I’m also not so sure this isn’t hardware and more specifically terrain change related (on the sensor itself).
I’m going to test that theory.
I’m emailing Leddartech, they’ve been super willing to help me with it. And we’ll see where that goes.
Maybe there’s a firmware update or something that might fix something.

I appreciate you guys messing with it. If I were in a better place financially I’d send you one. :slight_smile:

On a different note…do you think the strange RTL behavior is related to the rangefinder? I couldn’t see a correlation, and I’m still not sure what those errors are when I switch RTL on.

Lance

Thank you for testing and I apologize for the trouble. Im going to fly test again on weekend and feedback.

Henrik04,

I had the same problem and i was crazy looking for the problem… I discovered that little beeper near controller that i was using produced a magnetic field and internal compass did this, check if have something produces a magnetic field near the pixhawk controller.

Good luck :wink:

zubax can GPS still unable to detect compass, only gps signal.

1 Like

No apologies are necessary Shingo. I appreciate you guys working on it.

And I have zero issues testing this stuff…if I’m able to so far as the equipment.If there’s anything I can do let me know.

@rmackay9 ,
This might be the same thing that has been plaguing me since 3.3.3.
550 HEX on 3.4.3-rc1 - putting the throttle to 100% and pulling back within a split second, the motor output is so delayed they react after the throttle is back to 0%.

Detailed log attached

1 12-31-1999 6-04-08 PM.bin (878.9 KB)

@Lance_B,

I tested LeddarOne with Copter-3.4.3-rc1 this morning and flew very well. I sent log file to Randy.

S.Alt is red line.

I checked your 49.bin and compared S.Alt and flying path. I thought S.Alt jumps happen when vehicle flies over road. So I tested measuring distance using LeddarOne to a variety of target which are car body, car front glass, asphalt, wet asphalt, white line of road and grass. But LeddarOne could measure normally. :confused: There was no ‘Bad Lidar Health’.

I attached my LeddarOne device info that shows hardware and software version. Please compare to your LeddarOne.

Well that’s frustrating. Good…since it narrows it down to my setup…but frustrating nonetheless. Sorry I’ve wasted your time.
I even built a new cable using some shielded 22 awg. So it’s really starting to look like I have an issue with my sensor.
It’s odd though, if I take it off and connect it directly to the laptop, I get nothing like these kind of jumps in distance.

It seems to do this on mine when I just start moving, or when it’s hovering. It seems to be even worse over the grass. But I’m going to do a full on documented test to try to narrow it down farther.

So if you don’t mind, can you tell me what hardware setting you’re using on your Leddarone? To get 8hz, I think it’s either 2048 accumulations and 8 oversample - or 4096 accum and 4 oversample?
Are you using the smoothing algorithim?
15 sample points?
Manual intensity at 100%? or Auto?
Are you powering it through the Pixhawk or externally and, if so, which port?
What type of cabling are you using?

Also, can you tell me your exact settings on the FC under the Rangefinder setup?

Sorry for all the questions, but I’d like to match what you have and give it try that way.

Thanks again and sorry I feel like I’ve wasted a bunch of your time with it.

I checked mine and I actually have a newer board revision. The version,software,c r c are the same.

I’m waiting on a response from Leddartech…

Changed everything back to default and moved the unit to the accessory rail, and I’ll try this configuration tonight.

But if you get a chance please send me your setup config.

Thanks

@Lance_B

Thanks comment. I will send my LeddarOne settings tomorrow. Could you send your LeddarOne settings? I will test using your settings.

@Lance_B

I attached my LeddarOne settings and Ardupilot settings screen captures.
I’m powering to LeddarOne through Pixhawk SERIAL4 and wiring using 30AWG.

LeddarOne and Ardupilot Settings.pdf (212.4 KB)

And I’m also considering what happens on your LeddarOne. ‘Bad LiDAR health’ occurs when there is no data while 200ms. It might take longer time to measure distance by diffuse reflection.I think it needs to resend data request when it takes longer time to get data than expected. I will add some fix to this problem.

Awesome thanks Shingo! If you need me to test it let me know.

Ok on the Leddarone, I’m using:
Accumulation 2048
Oversampling: 8
Smoothing: 0 at the moment, though I’ve tried it all the way to 16 with no noticeable change.
Led Control: Manual 100 - I’ve tried automatic and it seemed worse to me.
Baud Rate 115200
Modbus Address 1

On the Pixhawk I’m using:
Serial_1_Baud = 115
Serial_1_Protocol = 9
RNGFND_ADDR = 0
" FUNCTION = 0
" GAIN = .8
" GNDCLEAR = 11 (I’m about 4.5" to the PCB of the sensor, which is where they say the measurement is made)
" MAX_CM = 4000
" MIN_CM = 1
" OFFSET = 0
" PIN = -1
" PWERRNG = 0
’ RMETRIC = 0
" SCALING = 1 (HAVE TRIED THIS BOTH WAYS)
" SETTLE = 0
" STOP_PIN = -1
" TYPE = 12

I originally had it mounted on the right arm, about 17cm out from the center of the FC which is centered on top.

Frustrated last night, I reset my Pixhawk through Mission Planner. I also cut about 3" off the cable, re-terminated and resoldered all connections, and I’ve made a new accessory rail mount, which puts it squarely in the center, in front.

I’m using serial 4 for Open TX passthrough using a module I built. I have moved the Leddar to serial 2 though.
I’m going to get everything reset, and go give this a try using your settings on serial 2 and see what’s going on. If it still does it, I’ll reconfigure and move it to Serial 4. I’ll let you know.

One thing I noticed is I still had SR1 settings all set for the Teensy / Clooney telemetry - not sure if this would cause issues, and I couldn’t find the defaults which was part of my reason for resetting it.

I also spoke with LeddarTech today. Obviously they don’t know Arducopter. He did tell me that cable length for rx/tx with my wire size shouldn’t be the issue. He also said this isn’t a voltage issue - meaning they typically don’t cause this sort of behavior.

Thanks for the help Shingo.

@Lance_B

Thank yon for the information and sorry for reassembling your device.

I guess the problem is not by hardware from LeddarTech response, the surface type like grass and distance causes the problem.

Still not certain of that. They want me to connect it to the computer and log the readings over different surfaces using their software.

That’s fine but I’m not sure that at 6 or 10 feet this issue will even show up.
I need to figure out a way to do this at 20 or 40 ft or higher.

Maybe I’ll setup an arduino or teensy and mount it on the copter and try it that way.

I had a nice 10 minute fight last night over many different suraces and ranges of height and speed. I’ll post that logoes tonight.