Control a 9053 Double Horse motor with Arduino PWM

I posted this in the Arduino forum as well, but thought that I might be able to get additional assistance through this forum.

Okay, this one has been stumping me. My son wants to turn his crashed 9053 Double Horse helicopter into a semi-automated drone (just to see if he can do it).

At first we tried to hook up an L298n motor controller, but couldn’t get the main motors to spin all the way up. We could effectively control the speed, but couldn’t get them to drive fast enough to lift off.

So, we decided to rip the mosfets and diodes off of the controller board and use those (assuming they would work for the Arduino since they worked for the 9053’s controller board). We came up with the same situation. We were able to change the speed of the motors, but they wouldn’t spin all the way up.

If we hook the batteries directly to the motor it spins to it’s full capacity, but can’t for the life of us get that to happen through the L298n or the mosfets straight from the heli’s controller board.

My first thought was that maybe I needed to adjust the PWM frequency (was hearing a slight high pitch whine), so I used the PWM.h library and went from a low enough frequency to make the motors stutter to a frequency that made them whine and a few values between that drover the motors smooth, but still not fast enough.

We wired the MOSFETs exactly like this picture (http://bildr.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/rfp30n06le-arduino-motor.png).

The datasheet for the MOSFETS (http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NTP85N03-D.PDF)

Being fairly new to Arduino, I simply used a 10k ohm resistor on the gate pin since that’s what was used in the above diagram.

Are we missing something?

Thank you in advance!

Just to let you know, this in not an arduino forum. It’s for the AMP Auto-pilot system. However, the diagram you posted is very inefficient, To switch the FET fully on you need the gate voltage to be a minimum if 5V+ the motor battery voltage. i.e. if its 6V motor the gate will need to be 10V to switch on efficiently.