CAN question to developers

Hello !

This is what Huy from gremsy said … Can You help ?

Hi Christoph, it is from the UAVCAN side, if they support the CAN Message structure containing attitude information then it will be fine

I think he needs ATTITUDE …

Cheers

May I have an answer please …

Cheers, Christoph

The gremsy guy didn’t answer your question. Ask him which specific UAVCAN messages he needs.

He said ATTITUDE information … Please tell me what exactly I’d have to ask for when talking to him …

I’ll be frank: gremly have the expertise to sort this out if they wanted to. They could read the uavcan protocol and definitions. They could identify the gimbal messages, and consume/implement them. They could put forward their own CAN implementation to Ardupilot.
But they haven’t.
I’m stepping out of this discussion.

Dear James !

May I ask again please ? ( I say sorry for playing some kind of synapse wiithout a clue :wink: )

I’m just trying to link two well engineered products I count on …

So here’s Gremsys statement : They are trying to use the messages from the page UAVCAN/dsdl,
but for some reason they cannot “get it out of the PH”. Now they are asking, if they should some kind
of tease the PH by a command line or so, to make the PH set the messages free actively ?

Please forgive my strange wording (not my native tongue) , but I am not a programmer and this is what I interpret.

Will You just please let me know what I could answer or whom explicitely I should / could ask concerning this topic ?

I would really appreciate Your support !

Thanks a lot,

Christoph

Will You please see my latest post in here (asking James ) ?
Will You please help ?

Thank You

Some small extra information …

Huy Pham from Gremsy wants me to add :

" thank you, please mention that the message I need is on AHRS branch with message ID 1000 "

Is that helpful to know ?

Cheers, Christoph

Hey …

I there a reason nobody will answer this question ? Anything wrong with it ?

Best regards, Christoph

First of all I would really appreciate if Huy Pham would step into discussion himself. That would ease communication a lot.
Attitude broadcast is in PR right now, hopefully will get in master soon.

I love their products, but it is not hard to figure out they are aiming at the DJI market. I understand why a business would do that. And he is sort of signaling he does not have time for this

The Gremsy T3 gimbal has recently been announced, and I had a look at the manual at https://gremsy.com/gremsy-t3-manual/, where it states this about the Pixhawk connection:

Connect cable from COM2 port on hyper quick release to TELEMETRY 1/ TELEMETRY 2 on Pixhawk , Pixhawk 2. Once connected, the gimbal controller will automatically send MAVLINK message to set attitude update rate of flight controller at 10Hz.
Baudrate on Pixhawk should be set at 57600bps

So one should think that this is operational and compensates horizon drift. But I have inquired with Gremsy to directly give feedback in this post as well to confirm this.

here we’re talking about H series.
no solution with pixhawk so far.

christoph, This is not a simple problem or quick to fix. Relaying information back and forth is not accurate enough for developers to do anything. If Gremsy wants to do this they need to communicate directly with Ardupilot and UAVCAN developers.

Hi all, I’m Huy from Gremsy.

This is my first time posting here, sorry for my absence although you guys mentioned me for quite a long time.

Regarding CAN protocol for GREMSY gimbal, all we need is attitude information (pitch, roll) from PIXHAWK controller to correct horizon drift . Our engineeer has experimented with pixhawk code but unfortunately CAN message which contains attitude information is not implemented in the pixhawk source code yet

But luckily, we found a solution to get attitude information on the MAVLINK protocol via serial communication and we applied already for T1, T3 gimbals

Cheers

Is there any update on this? Huy, does this support gimbal control or simply horizontal drift correction? I have a T3 and the pix2.1 at my disposal for testing.

The question was related to H series (H3, H7, H16). T3 has pixhawk compatibility implemented.
I am desperately waiting for HYLINK for H series.

Thx

…engineeer has experimented with pixhawk code but unfortunately CAN message which contains attitude information is not implemented in the pixhawk source code yet

So a serial workaround has been found. But I guess for a “smarter” integration of the new Gremsy T3 gimbals the Pixhawk Source Code would need to be expanded to include attitude information.

I I have done some research on this end and if I understand it correctly one valiant contributor has been active in tackling this: AP_AHRS: UAVCAN Position and attitude broadcast by EShamaev · Pull Request #6528 · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub.
How Gremsy then ties in with this remains to be seen.

Hey everyone, I have my T1 working with Pixhawk 2.1. I used a PWM encoder and ran the aux1 and aux2 ports in as channels 1 and 2 on the T1. I set the T1 so that channel 1 was tilt and channel 2 was mode. I can control the pitch with a dial and the switch lets me lock it in.

I have not figured out how to get the flight plan/auto mission to set the mount tilt but at least I can point it manually.

About to order a T1, anyone had luck with the serial connection?