CAN question to developers

Thank You … Hope that will be sufficient for the GREMSY developers to implement it.
The point is, that “older” but actual gimbals like H3, H7, H16 only offer CAN link connection, not mavlink.
That’s the difference. T1 does accept both.

Best, Christoph

Yes, the T1 which is about to be released appears to have a serial for Pixhawk and CAN for DJI as depicted in the animated graphic on their website https://gremsy.com/gremsy-t1/

So its looks like they have already done the development to communicate with the Pixhawk via the serial interface.
Seems to me like it would be easier to use this and adapt the CANLINK product they have to connect the older Gimbals to the PH2.1 rather than do some more development to get the PH2.1 to generate CAN messages that
are compatible with the DJI CANbus messages (which are also all different to each other on the Naza, A2 and A3).

Whichever way its done it, I agree with Christoph that it would add a lot of value to the PH2.1 community.

Hello James !

The developers from GREMSY had a look at it and stated this :

the information (attitude) is not ready on UAVCAN yet, it needs modification on the pixhawk code

Will You please help or say something ?

Best regards, Christoph

one more vote for this…

Dear James !
Is there any chance to have a progress ?
I also asked the people from Gremsy what exactly is missing in the code …

Best, Christoph

This is not just a matter of some missing code. Comparing
UAVCAN and the DJI CANBUS is like comparing apples and oranges.
What has to be done is that the DJI CANBUS protocol needs to be simulated
by UAVCAN using the information coming from the flight controller which
is not a small task. In addition, the syntax of the protocols differ for
different DJI flight controllers (DJI Naza, A2, A3) all have different protocols.
Which one should it be written for ?

The problem on the Gremsy side is that their CANLINK product which works
with the older and more professional grade gimbals has only a single serial port
which connects to the DJI CANBUS. Since they only a single serial port, it would
be much better and cleaner if they create a version of their CANLINK product that
connects only to the Pixhawk 2.1. They have already done the Gremsy to
Pixhawk interface for their T1 product which does not require the CANLINK (there
is a direct serial connection port on the mount). So they have a CANLINK product that
connects only to the Pixhawk (using one of the serial connections on the Pixhawk 2.1

• Telemetry 2 port would be ideal).

As I said … GREMSY just stated that there are some informations in CAN code missing concerning attitude …
They could make it work for H series with the canlink …

that’s great. look forward to seeing it working.

Hello James … and to whom it may concern …
I just wonder if there is any way to come into continous communication ?

Best, Christoph

uavcan.equipment.camera_gimbal.AngularCommand
Sorry: not on here much, and not a Dev, just trying to point you in the right direction.
There are generic gimbal commands in uavcan. Unsure if they are implemented in the Ardupilot uavcan driver.

I am ready to implement support for gimbal over UAVCAN.
But I need to know if UAVCAN is supported on gimbal.

hey EShamaev,

I’m not sure I read your comment correctly. The thread so far seems to have been about supporting the gremsy gimbals, but your comment seems to be less specific, which encourages me to jump in.

I’m actually very interested to add UAVCAN to the STorM32 gimbal controller.

(“secret” hints of that you may e.g. infer from here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37744526&postcount=190 or here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37796244&postcount=194)

I understand the idea of having general messages, but I think there is also a need for hardware-specific messages.

(a somewhat related discussion you may find here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uavcan/JeBsioN79rk).

I’m not sure AP is prepared to go that route, but if so (i.e., if there is the possibility of some flexibility), I would be interested to link into the discussion, e.g. on message definitions.

Cheers, Olli

1 Like

Actually I am asking about this specific gremsy Gimbal.
If UAVCAN is supported on gimbal.
There are 3 already defined messages in UAVCAN but I need to have the hardware that supports it.

ok, makes sense, my misunderstanding, sorry for that.
:slight_smile:

Hello …
I talked to Huy Pham from gremsy via FB messenger. He told me that the H series of their gimbals theoretically support CANUAV via CANLINK hardware interface but there are some attitude informations missing in present protocol … He did not exactly tell me which by now.
I hope this helps … Will You please let me know ?
Thx from Berlin
Christoph

Hello !

This is what Huy from gremsy said … Can You help ?

Hi Christoph, it is from the UAVCAN side, if they support the CAN Message structure containing attitude information then it will be fine

I think he needs ATTITUDE …

Cheers

May I have an answer please …

Cheers, Christoph

The gremsy guy didn’t answer your question. Ask him which specific UAVCAN messages he needs.

He said ATTITUDE information … Please tell me what exactly I’d have to ask for when talking to him …

I’ll be frank: gremly have the expertise to sort this out if they wanted to. They could read the uavcan protocol and definitions. They could identify the gimbal messages, and consume/implement them. They could put forward their own CAN implementation to Ardupilot.
But they haven’t.
I’m stepping out of this discussion.