Camera Footprint Not Accurate

Edit #2… I am re-asking the question… (I thought I solved the issue, but after checking MP again, it’s still not correct)

I have a gopro w/ a 3.97 lens. I uploaded the camera profile from Peau’s website, as well as loaded a sample photo in MP’s survey grid screen. Both give me a footprint that is about 2x bigger than a real photo taken at that altitude.
Also, the footprint in MP doesn’t reflect the true dimensions of the photo… It’s wider in MP than the real photo. So my initial guess is maybe the gopro crops the images… And if that’s the case, how to we account for that in MP?

has anyone else noticed the same thing?

1 Like

Yes there is a github issue on this and I think mp beta has fixed it.

are you looking at the projection in the survey grid interface, or somewhere else?

Yes, projection on the survey grid.
And basically I flew up to 30 meters and took a photo of my yard.
Then in MP do a survey grid over my yard, and look at the projection, and the photo rectangles are about 2x bigger than what I really get at that altitude.

I compensated for that and had a great flight and collected good data with it over the weekend, so it wasn’t an issue.

Edited to say, for all I know, Peau’s lens description could be inaccurate…
I don’t have another camera to test yet, but should have a Nex style camera in the next few weeks.

where you using MP beta?

No.
I’ll try that later and let you know the results.

How do you like that 3.97 lens. I’ve given it some thought. I also use a Canon S110 on a heli. but a Gopro on my F450 is sometimes easier to deploy and fly in certain situations.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

The lens is OK… A bit overpriced.
It’s definitely square (not distorted), but the edges are blurry.
I used it to get imagery for a 3d model, and it worked great for that… the blurry corners didn’t seem to matter.
Well, I’ll upload a pic.

I think the biggest issue at this point is the photo capabilities of the gopro. I wish someone would design a small ‘action cam’ format camera for stills. Even the ‘mapir’ camera (modified git2 for aerial mapping) is not good enough. It takes over a second to react to a trigger command from the flight controller!

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
David R Boulanger