ArduPilot flying 3D aircraft, including hovering

ok, do you have one built now? If so, can you post a photo? The code should work as-is, but has never been flown

No I have none built right now, but I just just ordered the parts.
I want to use Scorpy 1000mm flying wing, 2x RC-Tiger MN2212 Motors, 2x 9" Propellers, PixRacer with GPS. Max Take Off Weight: 600g
Do I need an airspeed sensor?
I have some experience with multirotors (9 years) and ArduCopter (2 years) but zero with ArduPlane.

for simplicity you can do without an airspeed sensor to start with. First thing will be to get it hovering OK, then we’ll need to tune the fixed wing gains.

We’ve had several very successful flights of the AddictionX now, with hover, transition etc, just like in the simulator. It works! It has now been pushed to master.
We’ll upload some videos soon, just not enough bandwidth here at the moment.
We’ve also fitted it with LEDs now, and will be hoving it in a night flight tonight.
Cheers, Tridge

1 Like

sounds like you have a good time! might try this for an evening of SITL fun. bravo! i love this shit :smiley:

I’ve pushed the tailsitter support to master now after another evening of fun testing it. We put LEDs on the AddictionX and flew at night, great fun!

2 Likes

Darrell Burkey from CanberraUAV caught some nice shots of the AddictionX flying 3D with ArduPilot on the weekend. A bit of it was Paul Riseborough in manual, the bit at the end is ArduPilot flying it in QLOITER mode in quite a strong wind.

2 Likes

Open gates for so much more possibilities. Thanks Tridge.

Can we use Flight Axis Link with realflight 7.5???
If yes where could we find Flightaxis link Code…???
will be highly thankful if helped.

Helloo!

Nice project tridge! I’m also doing some scool project and i have to built tailsitter/3d hoover plane. Single engine RC plane, same as you have in youtube video.
My question, can i see somewhere the full tailsitter code you showed in video? This would be so helpful to me!

Regards
TopGun

This question was answered in GitHub.

What is the earliest software where tailsitter is included?
ArduPlane VX.XX ?

Thanks you :slight_smile:

The GitHub change log will tell you, if you really want to know, but it doesn’t really matter - I suggest just using latest stable. The code is always improving, particularly with regard to newer features.
If you’re really asking whether it is available in the builds for the apm2.x boards: no, it isn’t.

I managed to find only date when changes are made, but exactly firmware nur can i also find someplace?

And if i have APM 2.8 then it means i cannot build single engine tailsitter plane? :frowning:

Thank you :slight_smile:

Firmware is at firmware.ardupilot.org
No, the vtol fixed wing code is not available for the apm2.x boards. We stopped supporting those several years ago.

Thank you James, but if i want to make one engine tailsitter, what controll board i have to buy. I’m newbi at this but i have a great wish to built one of these :slight_smile: Thank you so much James :slight_smile:

A Pixhawk, flavour of your choice.

Thank you, now i have Pixhawk 2 and RealFlight 7.5. When i download newest VTOL firmware, is it possible to try that in Realflight in somehow, to see is it really works? How i upload firmware to simulator, do i need Mission Planner or something?

Very big Thanks :slight_smile:

Info on RealFlight simulation is here: http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/sitl-with-realflight.html

1 Like

On the tutorial, everywhere are RF8, i hope this is possible to try in RF7 or 7.5 also?