APM hardware improvements, but no software improvements

The APM is up to version 2.8 and many of the hardware issues have been resolved. It is a shame that firmware support for the APM has ended. ArduCaopter V3.2.1 is very good, but there are still some issues with mission commands that could be addressed.

That’s all a result of the APM board not having enough flash memory to hold the versions from 3.3 and up. I’m sure you’ve heard this but if you need any functionality coming in the newer firmwares your best bet would be to upgrade the hardware.

@Big Tulsa,
A very accurate assessment of why we are no longer updating the APM2.x firmware.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

I have a 3DR Pixhawk and for what I do, I actually like and use the APM more than the Pixhawk.

And for those with the faulty flash chip on the Pixhawk (I’m one of them) our time is limited as well.

@bisenberger,
Having competed in the Sparkfun 2013 and 2014 AVCs using both an AMP2.6 in 2013 and a Pixhawk in 2014, I will take a Pixhawk over an APM2.x anytime due to the fact that EKF is far superior to DCM when it comes to accurate waypoint navigation.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Hi TCIII AVD,
I hadn’t noticed that difference, I’ll run a few test to compare. I have noticed there is much less drift with the NEO-7M and NEO-M8N over the LEA-6H.

@bisenberger,
I was using twin LEA-6 GPSs with the Pixhawk and I found virtually no turn overshoot when making right angle turns compared to the APM which always overshot the line of navigation to the next waypoint in a right angle turn.
Also, I experienced the same performance with the Pixhawk before I added the second GPS and I believe that the improvement in turn performance was the result of EKF over DCM and had nothing to do with the GPSs.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Interesting, when the wind dies down here I’ll fly a mission to compare. What was your WP Radius set at in Mission Planner?

@bisenberger,
Usually 2 m, but I did experiment and use 1 meter.
I was running Rovers and not model aircraft.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

@TCIII
Thanks TCIII. I will run a couple mapping missions and post the results. My flight controllers are all mounted on quads. I pretty much use them exclusively for mapping missions.

Just gotta say…
I’ve been using APMs on my six Quads & Hexs (with M8N GPSs) and have had fantastic results with them.

Just wondering…
The conversion/support going to Pixhawk controllers has nothing to do with the low-cost China APM “clones” ?
( At ½ - 1/5 the cost of a Pixhawk?) :wink:

Moved to Hardware category.