Antenna tracker test with PID tuning. Video with log included

I made a video from my third test of my Ardupilot antenna tracker. You can find it here: https://youtu.be/dCcJ8nT1EWY. It is a bit long, and thus perhaps a bit boring. Believe that it can bring something to the information available on this tracker. I have put in selected parts of the graphics from the data flash log in the video so that you can better see how it reacts on changes.
However, I would have had access to the current PID parameters as well as FILT parameter so that it had been possible to see what changes do what. I cannot find this info in the logs.
The test is made in my garden so I think it would have been different if it had been done in an open field. It will be next time.
For me it worked better to have the barometer as the source of altitude than GPS. It’s probably because it’s a ground test where the altitude ranges from 0 to a max of 2.5 m (hand held).
It is essentially a static test, where the multi-rotor mostly stands still on the ground. However, I took the quad on a walk around the house and it turned out that the tracker followed it pretty good as well.
Will be interesting to see how the tracker behaves next time when I will take it out on a test flight.
Some concerns:
• There will be an extremely large amount of data in the data flash log. 15 minutes took about 2 hours to download and on two occasions, the download has been canceled and the SD card is then empty. Is there any way to limit the amount of information transferred through the tracker?
Info for the telemetry log is needed for GCS + the information needed for the tracker to be able to do the job. Are there more that’s transferred? The dataflash log from the multirotor is downloaded after the flight.
• Details of current PIDs and FILT settings would have been nice to have.
I cannot say I’m sure about the relationship of the parameters for this test, even if I’ve been able to tune multirotors and gimbals before. I managed to calm it down in a static situation. Maybe it starts to swing as soon as the MR moves. Does it react quickly enough? Etc. It will certainly raise more questions in the future.
I would be grateful for all the help and all the tips from the developers and those who have done this before.

3 Likes

Did you manage to solve the problem with PIDs?
Would really like to hear about you specific tune…